Monday, April 26, 2010

Addicted


A friend and I were having a conversation the other day. “Have you ever been addicted to anything?” he asked me. My immediate response was, “No, I don’t have an addictive personality.” I was so sure of myself. I know without a doubt I have issues with anxiety, but not addiction. Oh sure, there was that time I thought I was addicted to gum, but that was more of a phase. Just like my short stint with smoking, just a phase. No problem quitting anything whatsoever.

I go through my days doing the same thing over and over. It only recently occurred to me that there was one thing that I repetitively do throughout the day everyday. It doesn’t matter where I am or what I’m doing, I stop and perform my ritual. I apply and reapply lip balm. In fact, I am addicted to lip balm. I own about 30 of them and I love them all. I love trying new formulas, new flavors and different brands. I even went through a phase where I made my own because I couldn’t find one I loved. A good lip balm needs to have the perfect amount of slip and flavor without being too waxy or sweet.

The funny thing about this is it’s not a secret, everyone knows it. I get lip balm as gifts from friends and family throughout the year, so I never run out. I have my favorites, my old faithfuls, and I carry about three of them in my purse. I have about five of them in my car and I keep them in various places throughout the house. I’m so attached, I once forgot to pack some on vacation and the first thing I did after arriving at the airport was buy some. Once when I went camping I forgot to pack a tube. Luckily the lodge carried a wonderful huckleberry lip balm that was so nice. I still have that one.

So before I go to bed tonight, I will apply one of my favorite lip balms and I will admit to my addiction. And I will thank God there isn’t a 12-step program for my addiction or a meeting, because if there is, I’m not going.

6 comments:

  1. I share your addiction. Love this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this. i didn't know kool-aid made lip balm, and what's that huge tube on the left, looks like you need two hands to grip it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool post! Everyone should have at least one good goto lip balm. I love Burt's Bees, and I have a favorite tinted lip balm (chocolate flavored). And what about the lib balm tins...I could go on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I didn't forget about the tins, girl...oh, believe you me I have about 15 of those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hee hee! This was pretty funny! I also love my chapstick, but I didn't realize the opportunities out there to experiment with new kinds and flavors... Maybe I'll expand my horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again Great Storytelling, very funny I laughed so much my office mate wondered what was going on, so I gave it to her to read and again more laughter.

    ReplyDelete