Monday, May 24, 2010

Full Circle



Something really great happened yesterday. Yesterday I was the featured writer on Indie Ink. Some of you reading this have probably already been featured on Indie Ink, so what’s the big deal, right?

Well, here is the big deal. First, Indie Ink has a worldwide following and is a fantastic online publication. Second, although I have been writing most of my life, I never showed any of it to anyone. In fact, I destroyed everything I wrote up until about a year ago.

About one year ago, I began writing a book. I decided I would write it for myself and if nothing else, I would have two copies bound, one for each of my girls. But then something really great happened and a few months later I had a 50,000-word draft. Yeah, it is still in the editing phases, but for me, not only was writing it an accomplishment, but not destroying it as I have done in the past was an even greater accomplishment.

"I Stuck" was my first blog entry. My wonderful mentor and friend Ed Pilolla, who is an accomplished writer and journalist, encouraged me to show him the post. It took me awhile, but once he promised not to laugh, I sent it to him. Next thing you know, I started a blog and got the wonderful honor and opportunity to be on Indie Ink.

So, there you have it. The one thing I wanted to do all of my life, I am now finally doing. And can I just say, I’ve never been happier. Thanks to all of you for reading.

5 comments:

  1. you deserve all the success you are enjoying. you have a unique voice. if you enjoy writing, and i think you do, the world will continue to rise up to meet you. congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats again, Tori. So proud of you! You should definitely feel worthy of your accomplishment. I can tell through your writing that you are passionate and that says a lot about who you are as a person. This is just a stepping stone and I know you will do even more great things to come. Looking forward to seeing everything unravel. It is quite exciting. Love you-your favorite sister-in-law (well at least you are my favorite one :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed and Lisa, thank you so much for your support and faith in me. I really appreciate you both. :) It is the encouragement I get from you guys that keeps me going. Thanks for being there with me through this process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a good piece, too. :) You have a new reader because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendryn, thank you so much. I'm really flattered that you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete