Friday, December 24, 2010

The Best Gift Ever


While writing about the perfect gift for the favorite surfer on your holiday list, I began to reminisce about Christmas gifts past. Quickly I came to one of my favorite memories.

I won't ever forget it: My husband and I were dating at the time and this was to be our very first Christmas together. Although we had known each other fairly well, I struggled trying to find the perfect gift. And to be honest, I don't even remember what I bought him, but I remember very well what he bought me.

I drove to his apartment in Hermosa Beach nervously wondering if he would like the gift I bought for him. And I was very curious about what he bought for me. We weren't far enough in the relationship for jewelry, so no pressure there, but I wondered how well he knew me.

Did he know I hate glitter? Even cards sprinkled with the stuff, making a mess and somehow ending up on my face. Did he know about my love of books? And how instead of going out to a movie I preferred spending the time in a bookstore?

When I walked in the door there was a large wrapped gift leaning against the wall. I had no idea what he could have bought me that was about 4 feet long, but I couldn't wait to open it. I knew for certain it wasn't a book and I seriously doubted it was covered in glitter.

The package was fairly soft and as I began to slowly tear the wrapping paper, I saw silver. Soon I had the paper off completely, revealing a padded silver Pro-Lite surfboard bag folded in half.

I have an 8'0" longboard and he purchased just the right size to fit my surfboard without having to remove the fins. I didn't know I even needed one, let alone want one, but suddenly I did.

I was so touched by this gift. Not because he purchased such a nice bag, but because he really thought about the perfect gift to get the surfer girl who has all she needs to go surfing…except a board bag.

Years have passed since that wonderful Christmas and I am happy to say my board bag is still in great shape. It has come in handy on numerous occasions and has kept the wax from melting off my board in the summer more that once.

So many people say, "It's not the gift, but the thought that counts." For me, the thought really was the gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment