Friday, December 24, 2010

Teen Drama Downright Comical About Surfing


Today I'm going to admit to something publicly that only two people know about me. I am going to admit to a guilty pleasure that I would have preferred to keep secret, but I can no longer hold back.

So, here it goes: I watch 90210! OK, there, I admitted it. I watch a teen show about not-so-teen drama.

I have been watching since it premiered last season and until now, I was able to ignore the absurdity of the show and just watch without opinion. But last week all of that changed.

You may recall reading about 90210 filming at both Torrance and Redondo Beach awhile back. Well, the episode finally aired last week. The location couldn't have been more obvious since you can clearly see Palos Verdes in the background, not to mention the "Color of Summer" lifeguard towers art project.

The filming took place on one of our many gloomy days that we had this year and that, too, is obvious.

In this episode, riddled with surf clichés, Ivy the resident "surfer chick" is entering a surf completion, which (no spoilers here?) she wins. Ivy's friend Naomi, an obnoxious rich girl, eyes a surfer friend of Ivy's named Zach and leads him to believe she is a proficient surfer in order to obtain a surf date.

When Ivy offers to help her prepare for her surf date by giving her some surfing pointers, Naomi declines saying she is just going to paddle out, but has no intention on trying to catch a wave; besides she watched half of Blue Crush.

Naomi thinks all she needs to do to impress Zach is use surf slang and paddle out on a board. Her plan is to avoid the waves so he won't know she doesn't know how to surf.

Although this will be Naomi's first time in the water, she is arrogantly confident she can pull it off looking like a pro.

After breathlessly paddling out, Naomi, who is paying more attention to Zach than the wave headed her way, gets pummeled. Zach saves her after she gets hit in the nose with her board.

With Naomi's secret revealed, she doesn't get a follow-up date with Zach, who is angry that she lied about her experience level. Naomi tries to smooth things out with Zach, explaining that her nose isn't even bad enough to see a plastic surgeon (like, totally).

As if last week's episode wasn't funny enough (was it meant to be funny?), this week's episode picked up where the last one left off. Naomi no longer has a bandage across her nose, and when she is complemented on her "healed" nose, she credits "a boatload of Crème de la Mer" (at $130 for 1 ounce, she may have needed a couple of ounces) for her recovery.

Call me crazy, but as many times as I have gotten bumped and bruised, I have never heard of using $130 face cream to speed up the healing process.

Once I was past all of the obvious contradictions and absurdities, I watched the rest of the comedy, ahem, I mean drama.

And although I find some of the acting a bit (just a bit) over the top and annoying (but just a bit), still I watch.

Now that I have freed myself of this secret and gotten some things off my chest at the same time, I can sit back, relax and enjoy seeing my hometown on TV, knowing that I really have surfed there.

No comments:

Post a Comment