Friday, December 24, 2010

Just A Number


Every year someone asks me what my New Years resolution is, and every year I have the same response: I don't make New Year's resolutions for the New Year; I make them for my birthday.

Today is a special day for me. Today I turn 40. I'm not ashamed to admit my age—it is what it is. There is no sense in fretting about it; I can't stop time. Besides, I knew this day would come…someday.

Is turning 40 that different than turning 30? Does turning 40 limit me in any way? Nah, I don't think so. Plus, I don't feel 40…whatever that is supposed to feel like.

In my twenties, I was going to school and working full-time. I was in great shape, running 4 miles a day and surfing regularly through the summer months. I would take weekend surf trips to San Diego County, and although I was busy with everyday life, I had no idea the true busyness to come.

In my thirties, I was newly married. We really wanted to start a family but we wanted to get some traveling in before hand, so we went to Canada and attended the Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix, a highlight for us as avid F1 fans. We also traveled to Finland and were fortunate to have tickets to the Finnish Rally.

I think my forties will be every bit as exciting and fulfilling as my twenties and thirties were. We are busier than ever and have two amazing kids, which I am incredibly grateful for. I absolutely love being their mom.

In addition to surfing and learning how to stand-up paddleboard, I would love to get back into running. Physically, I know 40 feels nothing like 20 or 30. This is to be expected and shouldn't be surprising, but somehow still is. The last time I went surfing, I felt great out in the water but was tired later in the day.

I don't remember that in my twenties.

Do I miss my twenties and thirties? Maybe a little, but I know those days aren't coming back. So, to ring in my new year, I think I will start with a huge helping of gratitude with a side of life and end with a nice glass of wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment