Friday, December 24, 2010

He Didn't Even See It Coming


A few weeks ago I wrote about recent shark sightings along the coast of Southern California. I pointed out that shark attacks are rare and shark attack fatalities rarer. But no matter how rare they are, when an attack happens, I can't help but take pause.

Last week 19-year-old Lucas Ransom lost his life in a fatal shark attack.

Ransom, a UC Santa Barbara student and his roommate, 20-year-old Matt Garcia, went body boarding and surfing at Surf Beach, about 130 miles north of Los Angeles at Vandenberg AFB.

Lucas and Matt got in the water hoping to catch some of the rumored "big surf." At 8:50 a.m. Lucas was on his body board when he was suddenly attacked. Although Matt tried to help him, Lucas lost his left leg. His femoral artery was severed and he could not be saved.

Experts believe that an 18-20 foot adult great white shark is responsible for the attack. The severe damage done to Lucas's leg and the 13 inch bite taken out of his body board could only have been done by a large shark. Experts are also quick to point out that this was likely a case of mistaken identity and the shark was looking for a seal.

Lucas was a trained lifeguard and an experienced swimmer and surfer. This shark attack was in no way provoked, and in fact, Lucas never saw it coming.

It is difficult to make sense of this tragedy. Some may even blame the shark. We readily and willingly go into the territory of these ocean animals for the sake of our enjoyment. And for the most part we can do that without incident.

As I think about this young man who is described by friends and family as a wonderful soul, my heart breaks. The mother in me aches for this boy, this boy with a bright future and a big heart, this boy who loved his life and lost it too soon. The mother in me wants to make him safe.

I think about Lucas's friend Matt who was 2 feet away from him when he was attacked and how Matt tried to save his life despite his dire condition.

I watched his family speak about him and how much he loved the ocean and I cried. They went on to describe a smart, thoughtful and kind young man whose life was over too soon.

I have always loved the ocean and seeing wildlife in their natural environment but this is one that I hope I never experience for myself.

As a surfer, sharks may be in the back of your mind at one time or another, but when you are riding waves, you enjoy life, and nothing else matters.

I'm sure that is how Lucas felt that morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment