Friday, December 24, 2010

On Second Thought, Don't Stand Up Straight


My husband, the thorough investigator, did extensive research before buying a stand-up paddleboard. I must admit, both the board and the paddle are beautiful and I wanted to try them out.

I just needed the opportunity.

When he told me that he was bringing his stand-up paddleboard on our surf date, I was excited. We planned on trading off my surfboard and his stand-up paddleboard. Perfect.

The tide was high and without a swell, our non-super secret location was a bust for surfing. After trying unsuccessfully to catch a couple of waves, we switched boards. The conditions were perfect for me to try my hand at stand-up paddleboarding.

My husband makes riding a stand-up paddleboard look incredibly easy. To say I was confident that I, too, would paddle with ease was an understatement. I mean, how hard can it be? After he gave me a few simple tips, I was eager to try.

My first mistake was overconfidence. My second mistake was trying to stand up too quickly. As I stood up the board began to wobble back and forth. In about five seconds, I landed into the cold ocean with a huge SPLASH.

I wasn't ready to give up.

On my second try, I was much less confident and much more hesitant. I took my time plotting how I would place my feet and keep a low center of gravity with my body before standing up. Although the deck pad is softer than a surfboard, my knees began to hurt, and I needed to stand up.

Slowly I rose, keeping my knees bent, raising my body inch by inch. I was finally upright. It lasted only seconds and I once again landed in the ocean with a resounding PLOP.

I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. My husband sat on my surfboard watching the comical sight.

On my next try, I followed his instructions, taking my time and once again keeping a low center of gravity. By the time I stood up, the tell-tell wobble-wobble of the board was a dead giveaway that I was going down. This time I tried to land on the board but only ended up hitting my knee before I landed in the ocean.

I couldn't have felt clumsier.

As I paddled around to get comfortable with the feel of the board, I reflected on the parallels to my life: Overconfidence, wobble-wobble, big splash, get back up and try again. Oh, the irony.

When I had my fill, we swapped our boards again. Much to my frustration, he effortlessly stood up and paddled away.

On the drive home I wanted to know what I had done wrong. My husband reiterated his tips, but basically I stood up too straight. Which is the complete opposite of what I do naturally.

Then he told me his board isn't stable and is narrower and shorter than an average board. His board is made for surfing, not just cruising around.

Next time, I may get a rental.

No comments:

Post a Comment