Friday, December 24, 2010


There is something about the ocean that has always fascinated me. I grew up wishing I were a mermaid long before Ariel made her big screen debut and was popular among young girls.

For me, it isn't just an enchantment with water, it is with the ocean itself, and all that's in it. I had this feeling so young, I can't remember a time that I didn't feel it.

Loving the ocean is such a big part of my life. I was thrilled when I met my husband and found out that we had this is common. Our mutual love of the ocean and water sports was a huge plus, and an important element in our relationship.

When we met, I was surfing regularly and he was on an outrigger canoe team. He wanted to learn how to surf and was pretty determined to learn, just like I once was.

Years have passed, and now he goes surfing and stand-up paddleboarding regularly. And he has surpassed my skill level.

When we married, we wanted to live near the ocean. It just wouldn't work for us any other way. We also knew we wanted to have children, two to be exact. We never cared if we had boys or girls or one of each. For the record, we have two beautiful girls.

We are raising our girls to believe they can do and be anything in life. I once heard our oldest say that she couldn't do something because she isn't a boy. My heart stopped.

I explained to her that the only limitations she has in this life are the ones she put on herself. She warmed up really quickly to the idea of trying anything that interests her.

When you have two people who enjoy the ocean, shouldn't any offspring from that union have a similar feeling? Yeah, not so much.

My girls love the beach, but not the ocean. It baffles me. How it is possible that not one, but both of our girls don't like to go into the ocean. They love swimming in pools, even lakes, but not the ocean. I realize the waves can be a little scary for them and the water a little cold at times.

Once on a family vacation in Hawaii, I actually got them in the water, briefly. I'm not entirely proud of how I accomplished this. Actually, the bribe was shaved ice. I told myself I would never resort to bribing my kids, but there I was, desperate for them to know they would be safe. Plus, 80-degree water didn't hurt. And they were safe. They were with me.

I haven't given up hope. Our oldest daughter is getting curious about surfing, so I will be encouraging the curiosity. It can only help that both of her parents surf.

As they become stronger swimmers and develop their ocean sense, I hope that in time they too will love the water and not just the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment