Friday, December 24, 2010

Dear Santa: Surf WIth Style


The challenge to find the perfect gift for each and every person on your list may have you in a panic, but I have some ideas to help you find something for the surfer in your life.

Most surfers already have the basics, or the essentials, such as a leash and wax. And surfboards come in such a large variety of shapes, sizes and styles that it may be best left to the rider to decide on the perfect board.

For me, the perfect gift to give is not the typical, but the luxurious, being items most people wouldn't purchase for themselves.

Although there are many surf shops to choose from in the Beach Cities, I went to visit my friend, surfer and stand-up paddleboarder Tamara Lentz, at Spyder Surf on PCH. While I was there, I became the proverbial kid in a candy store.

I walked in with a few ideas of what would make the perfect gift, but it didn't take long to find more than I could have imagined.

  • Rip Curl E-Bomb Men's Wetsuit ($299.95): This is a performance driven full wetsuit. It also comes in a version for women called the Rip Curl Girls G-Bomb. This may be the nicest way to make the frigid water of winter a little more bearable.
  • GoPro Hero HD Camera ($269.99): The GoPro Hero HD Camera can be mounted to your surfboard so you can record yourself riding that epic wave. You may recall Chuck Patterson using the GoPro Hero HD Camera mounted on a pole to film his encounter with two great white sharks.
  • Short Ugg Boots ($140): A classic. You can find these just about everywhere, and for me they are a must-have item to slip on after getting out of the water. Ugg makes these in several colors, but I like them in sand because they remind me of a pair I had in high school.
  • Future Fins Clay Marzo RTM Fin Set ($69.99): One of the things I like best about my surfboard is my center fin's floral inlay, that is, until I saw this fin set. This set of three fins is so cool. It was hard not to buy this on the spot.
  • Hooded Changing Towel ($50): When changing your clothes at the beach, there is always the chance that your towel may slip off while you shimmy in or out of your wetsuit. This towel is perfect to use for changing since you slip it over your head, covering you front to back.
  • Power Balance Band ($29.99): Made of surgical grade silicone, this wristband comes in five different sizes and an array of colors. The hologram on the bracelet is designed to work with your body's natural energy flow and intended to optimize balance.
  • Innersection DVD ($24.99): Released on Nov. 23 this year, Innersection is a Taylor Steele surf film with 25 directors and 25 surfers including Clay Marzo and Kelly Slater. I have not yet seen the film, but I have seen some of the footage. I hope this one makes it in my stocking. It looks amazing.
  • Summer of Color 13-Month Calendar ($11.99): This calendar features color photos of the Summer of Color lifeguard towers. (Warning: Supplies may be limited.)

Happy holidays!

1 comment:

  1. GoPro's all-new HD HERO cameras are the world's most advanced line of waterproof

    ReplyDelete